Joss & Main Exclusive online private sales for the home

Friday, October 17, 2014

Home Office Reveal!

Our home office is finished! Get ready for a ton of photos... I was so super-excited about how this room turned out, so I was a little trigger-happy with the camera :). So this makes 3 rooms in the house that are finished... at this rate, our whole house will be done by about 2020.  Slow and steady wins the race, right?? Haha.


I didn't realize how much I would appreciate the french doors until I needed to get work done while Greg was watching footfall in the family room.... close those babies up and I couldn't hear a thing!

Please, come right in!!






This pillow was my first sewing project. But my 12-year-old cousin walked me through it, so I'm not sure if that counts! Learning to sew that's going to be one of my goals for 2015. Make sure you guys remind me when I list my goals at the beginning of next year! 

These built-ins are my FAVORITE!!! The built-in desk and bookshelves are my biggest DIY accomplishment to date I think. They are actually easier than they look to build. You can read about how I made the desk base here, and I'll be posting a tutorial on the bookshelves shortly! You can also see how I made the fabric-covered nailhead trim corkboard in the center of the bookshelves here.

The gray freestanding desk is from Craigslist, which I made over with homemade chalkpaint. You can check out the desk makeover and how to make your own chalk paint here.


I have to give Greg credit for filling up the bookshelves with nice, hardcover books.  Most of my books are chintzy, paperback fantasy/vampire novels.  Greg reads pretty much all non-fiction... he is the cultured on in our family. ;)    

Here is a look at the other side of the room. The space to the right of the doors was exactly the perfect size for a file cabinet. In many of the Courtland (now Courtland Gate) elevations, you don't have that extra space, but our elevation included a two-foot bump out in the study. We didn't even think about it when we were choosing our elevation, but it's definitely something to keep in mind. You can read more about how your elevation choice might affect your home's square footage here.



This was an old file cabinet from my dad's house that I made over with spray paint. I will be doing a post on the make-over shorty. Spoiler-alert... it was a bit of a DIY fail!!

This cute little tray is a friendly reminder to myself that I am quite lovely, even those times when I am feeling anything but! :)

And just for fun, here are some before and after photos.  It blows my mind how much bigger the room looks now that it is finished.  I think the hardwoods make a huge difference in making the room look bigger.







As per my usual M.O., this room is actually not 100% complete.  I still need to caulk the crown molding and add some decorative trim to the front of the bookshelves. Once the room gets to the point that it looks pretty, I have so much trouble completing those final finishing touches! 

Let's look at everything it took to get this room looking like it does now (if you're interested in how I began the design process for this room, you can check out this post):

Home Office To-Do List
1. Install hardwood floors. 100% Complete!
2. Build built-in desk/bookshelves. 97% complete (still need to add some trim).
3. Install crown molding. 95% complete (still need to caulk).
4. Paint. 100% complete!
5. Install window treatments. 100% Complete!
6. Makeover freestanding desk. 100% Complete!
7. Re-finish file cabinet. 100% Complete!
8. Make corkboard for built-ins. 100% Complete!
9. Decorate. 100% Complete! (for now :))


Here is a list of all of the DIY projects I did for this room, with links to each post:

4. File Cabinet Makeover (post still to come!).
5. Home-made pillow.

Source list:
Curtains - Crate and Barrel
Rug - Rugs USA
Starburst Mirror - Joss & Main
Wingback Chair - Joss & Main
Tree Stump Side Table - Joss & Main
Pillow - Homemade, fabric from Tonic Living
Yellow Pot - Joann's
Bamboo Light Pendant - Lamps Plus (no longer available)
Gray Desk - Craigslist Makeover
Zebra Chair - Wayfair
Hello Gorgeous Tray - Joss & Main
Globe - Urban Engineers' 5-year service gift
File Cabinet - Hand-me-down madeover
Rattan Lamp - Walmart
Woven Wall Pockets - Ballard Designs
Diplomas - University of Delaware & Bloomsburg University (these were very expensive :))
All of my bookshelf decor will be featured in another post!

This post was featured at the Work it Wednesday link party. Make sure to go check out all of the other great features!

I am linking up at these sweet parties... go check them out!

26 comments:

  1. What a fun space. I love your color choices!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh, it's gorgeous!!! I want it for my own!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful!. I love that happy golden yellow.. isn't it the most cheerful... That rug puts a smile on my face, just by looking at it.
    Did you do the hardwoods or had it installed? Would you mind telling me if it was same as what Ryan homes charge or higher/ lower? We installed carpet for our home office and it is the worst mistake ever. It's a $400 carpet (just for the home office) and I feel like, what was I thinking!!! It's the room I spend most of my day and the carpet already looks ***** . Want to install hardwood as soon as we could..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Thanushka... we installed the hardwoods ourselves and it was about 1/2 the price of what Ryan was charging. You can read more about how long it took us and how much it cost here: http://movingtothecountryryanhomes.blogspot.com/2014/01/hardwood-floors-in-study.html. Let me know if you have any other questions!

      Delete
  4. Wow! Beautiful transformation and a fabulous space!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Collette! This is amazing! I don't know how you don't just sit in there all day! I keep telling myself that we can live without hardwood, but when you look at the before and after pics, I am second guessing myself. I noticed you didn't go with a map, but I love what you put up in leu of it! We found a really great old timey map at Kirklands that we have big plans for. You should really be a home decorator/DIY instructor, I would hire you in a hot minute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh and PS, I have never heard of Joss and Main, going to website now! Thanks for sharing the info!

      Delete
    2. Thanks you so much Chrissie!! Interior design is something I have always been interested in, but I’m scared to take the plunge of trying to do it as a job. I am actually thinking about taking a few classes at my local community college just to see if I’d like it. I really appreciate your kind words… it gives me some motivation to really explore it.  I know… after all that indecision, I didn’t go with the map! When I got the map up there, it just didn’t look right… I think I had to many boxy shapes in the room so I wanted something round on that wall. It’s not as functional as the map, but I think it just looked prettier for that wall.

      Delete
  6. Love this reveal! The built-ins look so nice! And love the gray desk!

    ReplyDelete
  7. super sassy i love it!! i'm looking for a bigger desk for my office and i'll be done. i guess eventually i should post more pics...we hit our 2 yr mark last month. very lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bloomsburg? Nice!! That's were I went too :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love it! Gray and yellow is one of my very favorite color combinations. You knocked it out of the park on this one. Thanks for linking up to the Pretty Preppy Party!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It looks great, Colette! The built-in bookshelves/desk are great and provide a ton of storage, I'm sure.
    - Lora

    ReplyDelete
  11. We have carpet in our Living Room, and it does look smaller, much more so than our neighbors who have the same elevation but got hardwood there. Anyway, stunning work! The crown, floor, transom, bookshelf, desk, all look amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yes, it's amazing what a difference hardwood makes!

      Delete
  12. I LOVE your home office!! Such a pretty space- that rug is an absolute stunner, as are the drapes and all the fabrics... so many beautiful touches, and really unique and personal. Great job Colette - this is my hostess pick of the week tomorrow for Work it Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yayyy!!! Thank you so much Krista!! Can't wait to see the rest of the features!

      Delete
  13. Yasssss... This is breathtaking! Beautiful job. Our house isn't quite done yet but I have several boxes from Joss & Main hanging around waiting. Everything looks beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bridget!! Joss and Main is so addictive, isn't it??

      Delete

I am so thrilled that you stopped by and I loooove comments! Leave me some love and I will respond shortly. Peace and love – Colette.