Joss & Main Exclusive online private sales for the home

Saturday, September 27, 2014

How to get Rid of Fruit Flies

I don't know about you, but this time of year the fruit flies are out in full force at our house.  To me they are one of the most annoying bugs, and they seem to multiply like bunnies!  Apparently female fruit flies can lay up to 500 eggs at a time and their life spans are 40-50 days, during which time they can lay several 500-egg batches.  No wonder they are so hard to get rid of!  



But there is hope to control them!!

Try to prevent them from coming in the first place and/or eff up their homes once they arrive using these simple tips for getting rid of fruit flies:

1. Keep your sink clean.  Fruit flies like to procreate in drains, so make sure to keep all food out of your sink and drains.

2. Rinse out your recyclables before throwing them away and take our your trash often.  It also helps to have a trashcan with a lid and keep it closed at all times.

3. Periodically pour boiling water down the drain.  You can easily kill budding fruit flies by clearing out the drains with boiling water.

4. Set homemade traps. We have tried all different kinds of traps, but we have found the wine and saran wrap option to be the most successful. Just pour a little bit of wine into a glass, cover tightly with saran wrap, then use a toothpick to poke a few holes in it.  Apparently the flies can get in through the holes, but then can't figure out how to get out.  I put one near our sink and one near our trashcan and they really work!!

So gross, but so effective!!

It was seriously grossing me out to write this post, but I felt it was my civic duty to share these super easy tips for getting rid of fruit flies! Hopefully this helps someone else who is dealing with a fruit fly infestation... good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I am so thrilled that you stopped by and I loooove comments! Leave me some love and I will respond shortly. Peace and love – Colette.