Joss & Main Exclusive online private sales for the home

Friday, March 7, 2014

Authentic Irish Soda Bread {Recipe}

St. Patrick's Day is a big deal in my family.  My dad's side of the family is 100% Irish and my grandmother was a great cook.  Every St. Patrick's Day my brother and I would go to my grandmom's and help her make Irish potatoes and soda bread.  Now my brother and I host a St. Paddy's Day party every year for our friends and family.  I was starting to get my menu together for this year's party and I figured I would share some of my recipes with you!

Soda bread is the easiest thing to make and I can almost guarantee that you already have all of the ingredients in your pantry.  Here's the recipe:

Irish Soda Bread


Ingredients:
4 cups all purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
3 1/2 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp salt
1 tbsp sugar
2 tbsp butter - slightly softened
1 3/4 c milk
3/4 c raisins (optional... I don't usually include them)

1. Mix all ingredients.  I usually use a spoon until the milk is mixed in then knead it with my hands until mixed well.
2. Form into a ball and place on a slightly greased or floured cookie sheet.  I like to cut a cross in the top too... tradition says it's supposed to keep the devil away and protect the household. :)
3. Bake at 375 degrees for 30 minutes, then reduce heat to 350 degrees and bake for about 20 more minutes.
4. Enjoy warm with a slab of butter or dip into a nice beef stew!

2 comments:

  1. I keep hearing how easy bread is to make but it seems so difficult! I'll have to try it soon and this recipe seems like a really simple place to start -- and I think I'd skip the raisins too :)
    - Lora @ Craftivity Designs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I swear it's easy! I'm a horrible baker and even I couldn't mess this one up!

      Delete

I am so thrilled that you stopped by and I loooove comments! Leave me some love and I will respond shortly. Peace and love – Colette.